Build a skill. Save a life.
- YMCA Lifeguarding (valid for two years)
- American Safety and Health Institute CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid for one year)
- American Safety and Health Institute Basic First Aid (valid for two years)
- Must be at least age 16 for YMCA Lifeguard certification
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only then swim 100 yards front crawl
- Swim 250- yards combining Front crawl with head up, Sidestroke, Breaststroke, Breaststroke with head up, and elementary backstroke kick with hands on the chest then perform a feet first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and once under swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint for a distance of approximately 60 feet in the water, and then perform an arm-over-arm surface dive and pick up an object from the bottom of the pool, surface, tread water for at least 1 minute with legs only, and replace the object back to the bottom of the pool where it was found.
- Immediately begin compressions on an adult manikin for 1 minute or 100 compressions; stand and listen to directions from instructor.
To receive Lifeguard Certification a participant must:
- Attend 100% of all class sessions
- Arrive on time for all class sessions
- Participate 100% in all class sessions
- Pass written and skills test
- Demonstrate maturity, respect and responsibility regardless of passing written and skill test
- Certification confirmation documents will be sent to participant 4-6wks post-course completion.
- If the participant is a minor, a minor participant form must be completed by a parent or guardian prior to the beginning of the class.
Class times are
What to bring
- Suitable swimsuit, towel, and change of clothes
- Lunch, snacks, and drinks
- pen and paper to take notes
After completing registration, you will receive an email within the next few days from your instructor that will explain class expectations. This email will also contain information on how to complete the required eLearnings for the course.
Any questions concerning the course please contact Mandy Webb the Aquatics Director. Email: [email protected]